Sunday, May 17, 2020

My first time...screaming girls & some hurt ear drums!

Now I know what you are thinking...what and huh? If that doesn't grab your attention, then I don't know what will. I'm talking about my first concert of course. Shout out to Julie for the suggestion as it's been a few days since my last tirade, I mean post here at the blog!

So Julie today suggested I write about my first concert experience and I'm certainly not bashful to say it was BSB..Backstreet Boys! #TeamBSB

As I've gotten older I've come to still love BSB music and scream it out in the car everytime it comes on the radio! But I digress, my dad was given free sky box tickets to I think it was called The World at the time, (Tweeter center) as I like to still call it and there was nothing but screaming girls and busted ear drums for me for several days afterwards. At the time, I truly didn't really know much of their catalog, only select hits, but I was hooked on concerts from that moment on.

I don't spend my money on much now a days, other then going to the movies, but I've been to probably about 60-75 concert now between my ages of 15-present (33). I love a good concert. Nothing beats a good old fashioned rock and roll concert, so I wanted to make this post about my favorite concert of all time in addition to talking about BSB popping my cherry (don't worry, they were extremely gentle).

I've seen some heavy hitters in my day, Aerosmith (7 times; fav band of all time), AC/DC, Van Halen (Roth & Hagar), Guns N' Roses (thank god they reunited), Velvet Revolver (like 7-8 times, one of my fav bands during High School & College), Bon Jovi, Journey, Foreigner, KISS, you name them, I've probably seen them.  But a good classic rock band will always stand the test of time for a few reasons. It's truly them playing, singing and entertaining a sold out arena.

I have to reference Aerosmith as the Kings of the Crop! Nobody and I mean nobody can control a crowd in the palm of their hand like Sir Steven Tyler! Aerosmith for me is a musical release and for 2 hours I can forget about the world and just flat out rock and freaking roll! Of course I know every word, can out duel anyone in a Joe Perry guitar solo, seriously, I welcome a challenger who thinks they can out play me in air guitar!

Their songs, their chemistry is undeniable and there is a reason they are America's best selling rock band of all time and have been together for over 40 years! These aren't senior citizens on the stage, it's pure American Rock & Roll! Like I said earlier, I've seen them perform over a half dozen times, and never miss a show from them when they come to the Chicagoland area! This one particular concert was attended by myself and my brother and it was a dream bill- the opening act was Slash w/ his band Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators. Side note- if you've never listened to either of those two albums, it's some good shit!

Slash of course is in like my 1B favorite band of all time- Guns N' Roses so seeing him live is always a treat and I'm so happy he's back in GNR! Anyways, Slash and co. absolutely killed it for close to an hour playing his hits and of course ending his set list with Paradise City! I don't think there is a better song to close a set to than that song! Thoughts? Suggestions?

Aerosmith came out a half hour later that night, and there's nothing like an outdoor concert on a perfect summer night, which it was, and they brought the house down. Going through the hits- Walk This Way, Sweet Emotion, Love in an Elevator & of course one of my favorite songs of all time- Dream On. There is not a better song live to belt out loud then the final chorus of Dream On, and Steven can still hit that high note and it's something incredible to witness each and every time!

I look back on that concert and just smile, because it was truly epic and one I soon won't forget. With concerts probably an after thought for 2020 and most acts starting to cancel or reschedule for 2021, I think this was a fitting topic to touch on so I thank you Julie! Now that I'm done typing, it's time to perhaps crack open a beer and start jamming to some good old Aerosmith. I'll throw in some BSB for good measure as well.

Everyone have a good evening and let me know your guys first concerts as well by replying here or on my Facebook Page!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What a day..

Wow, has it really been since November since I've posted something? Forgive me friends as the holidays took over & my focus was else...